About this Policy
This website may also contain hyperlinks to other websites over which we have no control. These third party websites should have their own privacy policies and you should always review them before continuing to use that wesite. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the privacy practices of such websites and your use of these is at your own decision and risk.
This website complies with the principles of the Data Protection Act (1998) and the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations (2003).
The Data Protection Act (the "Act") lists eight principles concerning personal data for your protection. These are that the personal data:
- shall be processed fairly and lawfully;
- shall only be used for the purpose it was collected for;
- will only contain the relevant information required to fulfil a purpose;
- shall be accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date;
- shall not be kept for longer than is necessary;
- shall be processed according to your rights;
- shall be kept secure;
- shall not be transfered to countries that do not provide an adequate level of data protection.
The Information Commissioner regulates compliance with the Act.
What information we collect, how we collect it and how we use it
We may collect the following information:
(a) When you register to use restricted services you voluntarily supply information required to provide these services, process the registration and meet our legal requirements. This information may include name, e-mail address, date of birth and possibly, where required, postal address and telephone number. Information supplied during registration may be used for:
- checking the validity of a registration (see Terms and Conditions for rules);
- attributing submitted material;
- contributing to high-score tables or other interactive features;
- notifying winners of competitions (which will be open to registered members only);
- sending website update emails if you have agreed to this feature;
- sending relevant information or marketing from third parties with your agreement;
- participating in performance or scientific studies with agreement (see (c) below);
- taking action in the event of a breach in the Terms and Conditions;
- personalising the way content is presented to you and improving the website to suit our registered members.
If a registration is found to be invalid, the account will be deleted and all personal information will be removed as soon as is practically possible.
Where this website proposes using your personal information for any other use except those mentioned above, we will notify you first to gain your consent.
(c) Data may sometimes be collected by online web applications. For example, a puzzle may time how long completion takes and the fastest time will be returned to the server. In such cases an alert will be used to notify the user and gain consent. This data will be used for
- submission to a high-score table (only available to registered members and data submitted will be linked with the registered username);
- application performance studies or scientific studies. Such data will not contain any personally identifying information and the data will be used solely to analyse the performance of the application or for scientific data collection. Such data will be statistical in nature and non-identifying. In some cases a request may also be made for some voluntary demographic information such as age or gender. This will again be used for statistical analysis and will not be connected with identifying information.
(d) Each time you connect to this website, your computer's internet address ("IP address") is used to enable us to serve you pages. The pages accessed and the IP address are automatically logged by the web-server for this site. Your web-browser may also send some additional information such as what web-browser you are using or what operating system you are running. This website may use the IP address to identify the approximate location of users in order to tailor the website pages served (e.g. best appearance for your website, appropriate language, or country-targetted adverts). The IP address may also be blocked if it is deemed to be disrupting this website (e.g. by a Denial of Serviceattack or excessive downloading of pages).
What information partners collect
This website may contain third party advertising and sponsorship. It is possible that these third party advertisers may download cookies to your computer. Cookies may then be used to allow the advertisers to compile anonymous statistics, personalise advertising content and monitor the effectiveness of their campaigns. We cannot control nor do we have access to any cookies placed on your computer by third party advertisers and sponsors.
Disclosure of your information
This website will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties without your permission or unless we are required by law. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you agree to this.
Updating or deleting your personal information
When you register online with this website, you will have access to facilities that allow you to alter your personal details. Please ensure that you update this information if it is inaccurate or if it changes.
If you request that your account is to be closed then we will delete your account and all associated personal information as soon as is reasonably possible.
Personal data disclosed in public areas
Sections of this website, such as the Forum, allow you to submit material that is then viewable in public without restriction. In this case your personal data may be viewed, collected and used by other parties over which we have no control. We are not responsible for this material in any way or for any use that may be made of this material by third parties. Please consult our Terms and Conditions for what are considered acceptable postings to this website.
You have a right to ask for a copy of your information (for which we will charge a small fee) and to ask us to correct any inaccuracies in your personal information (which is done free of charge).
When you give us information about another person, you confirm that they have appointed you to act for them and consent to the processing of their personal data.
You can email us at
or use the contact webpage